Monday, June 30, 2008

Dental Anguish

When I ask people to pray for healing of my painful teeth, they say, “Oh but you should go to the dentist. God uses doctors and dentists to heal.” Jesus said that he came to preach good news to the poor. “Healing” which costs thousands of dollars after insurance (if you can afford insurance in the first place) is not good news for the poor or anyone else for that matter. Would people be so quick to insist on doctors and dentists if they had no insurance? What about the many who are unemployed or the “working poor”? Yes, the worker is worthy of his/her hire but Jesus never charged for his healing. That’s the kind I want, the kind with no side effects. Besides, he’s healed me of some pretty serious things so teeth are easy.

Then there’s the fact that even dentists, when they see my x-rays say, “Wow, you’ve really spent a lot of time in the dentist’s chair.” Right, I’ve been there, done that and suffered quite enough thank you. After spending thousands on root canals and crowns, the crowns fall off and oops! if I don’t get back in immediately with the errant crown, it won’t fit anymore (even a week) and oh well, we have to start over. That will be $800 plus, please. Then there was the one who hit a nerve with the needle and skewed my vision for a time! It simply has not worked for me and the downward spiral has to stop. My teeth must get well! (This doesn’t even count the many doctors my husband and I have encountered in the last few years who say, “I have no idea what causes that or what to do about it.”)

MT 8:16 When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick. 17 This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah:

"He took up our infirmities
and carried our diseases."

Healing is a part of the atonement and I don’t want to waste one bit of his suffering for us. Jesus healed every person who came asked him and some who didn’t even ask. I may still have to endure the agony and high price of the dental chair as my faith grows but at least I know how it’s supposed to be. What if we really believed God’s word? What might be accomplished?

No comments: