Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Christian Unity

Unity is very valuable. It's brought about by loving one another deeply from the heart (1 Peter 1:22), forgiving one another from the heart (Matthew 18:35), bearing with one another (Romans 15:1) and submitting to one another--the Greek word means voluntarily coming under with the idea of doing so to accomplish something. (Ephesians 5:21)

This unity is to be always around the Lord and His Word, which must never be compromised. It's not to be built around a leader, a leader's vision or style of leadership or a "because I said so and I'm the boss" attitude. It cannot be forced. A leader is to be a servant to those he or she leads. (1 Peter 5:2)

Christian unity is a very sweet and special treasure that Jesus valued and can bind his followers together in close fellowship across language, culture and personality.

I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. (John 17:22,23)

No comments: